Herrick K. Lidstone, Jr.
Herrick K. Lidstone, Jr. is a shareholder in the law firm of Burns Figa & Will PC, where he practices in the areas of business transactions, including taxation, limited liability company and corporate formation and organization, mergers and acquisitions, and securities. He has lectured at the Institute for Advanced Legal Studies, is an adjunct professor at the University of Denver Sturm College of Law (1986-1997, 2012, and 2014 through the present) and at the University of Colorado School of Law (2009). Mr. Lidstone has presented more than 120 papers for various professional organizations including the Colorado Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education in Colorado, Inc. and the National Business Institute. Mr. Lidstone served on the Colorado Securities Board (Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies) from 1999 until 2011, and 2014-2017. Mr. Lidstone was Chair of the Board for three years during his term. Mr. Lidstone has served numerous times as an expert witness in cases involving professional ethics, corporate, partnership, limited liability company, and securities law matters.
Mr. Lidstone has lectured extensively on securities law, ethics, limited liability companies, and partnerships, he has written more than 25 articles on business and securities law published in The Colorado Lawyer and other publications. He is the author of the Securities Law Deskbook (2006-2016 (CLE in Colorado, Inc.)), Limited Liability Companies and Partnerships In Colorado (2015-2017, with Allen Sparkman (CLE in Colorado, Inc.)), and Federal Income Taxation of Corporations (6th Ed., with William Krems and Richard Robinson (ALI-ABA, 1989)). Mr. Lidstone is a contributor to several other legal treatises including Holderness and Wunnicke’s Legal Opinion Letters Formbook (Aspen Law & Business, 3rd Ed. 2010 and Supplements) and Rozansky and Reichert, Practitioner’s Guide to Colorado Business Organizations (Colorado Bar Assn., 2008 and supplements). Mr. Lidstone has 24 papers published on the social science research network (www.ssrn.com) and is listed among the top 5% of SSRN’s more than 343,000 published authors. Mr. Lidstone was on the board of directors, chairman of the nominating and compensation committee, and a member of the audit committee of Kodiak Oil & Gas Co., Inc. until its 2014 merger.
Mr. Lidstone is a member of the Arapahoe, Denver, Colorado and American bar associations and the Denver Association of Oil and Gas Title Lawyers. Mr. Lidstone has served as a member of the Executive Council of the Colorado Bar Association’s Business Law Section since 2007, and as the Business Law Section’s representative to the Working Group on Legal Opinions Foundation (formerly of the American Bar Association) since 2007. Mr. Lidstone has testified on behalf of the Colorado Bar Association more than 15 times on bills pending before the Colorado General Assembly, and has been involved in the drafting of a number of those bills. Mr. Lidstone has been recognized by Best Lawyers, Super Lawyers, and Who’s Who in the World a number of times.
Mr. Lidstone earned his A.B. degree from Cornell University in 1971 and his J.D. degree from the University of Colorado at Boulder in 1978. Mr. Lidstone served on active duty as an officer in the United States Navy from 1971 until 1975, and in the U.S. Naval Reserve until 1980 from which he retired as a Lieutenant Commander. Mr. Lidstone is a Fellow emeritus of the Colorado and Arapahoe County Bar Foundations, the charitable arms of the Colorado Bar and the Arapahoe County Bar Associations. Mr. Lidstone has served on the Board of Directors of the South Metro Denver Chamber of Commerce since 2016 and has been involved with various committees of the South Metro Denver Chamber since 2010.
University of Colorado School of Law Boulder, Colorado, J.D. – 1978
Business Manager and Editor, University of Colorado Law Review, 1977-1978
“Regionalism or Parochialism: A Land Use Planner’s Dilemma,” 48 U. Colo. L. Rev. 575 (1977)
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, A.B. – 1971
Areas of Expertise:
Corporations, Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies
Financing, Mergers and Acquisitions, and Tax Law
Real Estate and Natural Resources
- Member, Arapahoe County, Denver, and Colorado Bar Associations, and American Bar Association
- Colorado Bar Association representative to the American Bar Association’s Working Group on Legal Opinions (since 2007)
- Member, Executive Council of the Colorado Bar Association’s Business Law Section (Chair, July 4, 2013; Vice Chair, 2011-2013; Secretary/Treasurer, 2009-2011)
- Member, Committee of the Bar Association tasked with considering application of the Revised Model Business Corporation Act (2008) to the Colorado Business Corporation Act (2009-Present)
- Member and Recording Secretary of Bar Association Committee dealing with benefit corporation legislation (2010 to 2013)
- Chair, Transition Subcommittee (Chapter 17), Colorado Corporation Code Revision Committeeof the Colorado Bar Association (1988-1990)
- Member, Committee of the Bar Association assisting the Securities Commissioner in drafting rules to implement the Colorado Securities Act of 1990 (1990)
- Member, Denver Association of Oil and Gas Title Lawyers (Secretary, 1993-1994; President, 1994-1995)
- Member, Board of Directors, Kodiak Oil & Gas, Inc. (NYSE: KOG) from March 2006 - December 2014, chair, Compensating and Nominating Committee, and member, Audit Committee and Corporate Governance Committee
- Member, Colorado Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the Colorado Bar Association (since 2003)
- Member, Arapahoe Bar Foundation, the charitable arm of the Arapahoe County Bar Association (since 2005)